1. Awareness is key. Be mindful of what you consume. Pay attention to what you're putting into your body. Did you have one glass of wine or 4? Do this from a place of just wanting to acknowledge what is (don't make it about placing judgement on yourself.) Also, plot your course... look around at what food and beverage are available first. One you know what your options are you can quickly create a mental plate for yourself with healthy foods. Take time to think about what you are putting into your body.
2. Acknowledge what foods you really want to eat (like Macaroni and Cheese) and the ones you know are good for you. Get one plate with a balance between eating well and eating what you crave.
3. Question seconds. Are you really still hungry? We often go for seconds because the first time around we didn't get some of the food we originally wanted. Over-eating causes us to accumulate body fat and weight gain. Take care of finding a good balance in Step 2.
4. Savor every bite. Allow all five of your senses to be involved as you eat. Look, smell, taste, touch, and listen to others rave about what dishes they enjoyed. Take time to chew your food slowly. Maybe even put your fork down between bites!
5. Bring a healthy dish to share... we must be the change we wish to see in the world! Help educate people that healthy food does taste good. Use lots of fresh fruit and vegetables. Bring a naturally colorful dish to make it beautiful and healthy!
Most importantly... take time to enjoy yourself and others. Be grateful for this time that you have with friends and family, enjoy yourself and the great abundance that surrounds you. All moments are unique... savor the one you're in. :-)
Here are a few links for some of my favorite recipes:
Live Spring Rolls with Lemon-Ginger Sauce
Roasted Thyme and White Wine Turkey
Baked Leek and Sweet Potato Au Gratin
Keri is an internationally Registered Yoga Teacher, Culinary Nutritionist, and Wellness Coach. She owns and operates BAYA Wellness, LLC offering Yoga and Nutrition Services. Keri teachers both privately and publicly around the Greenville area offering on-going classes and special events. Her path as a nutritionist is all about making healthy living approachable... she teaches the components of healthy cooking, eating, and thinking. In addition, she offers specialized services like menu planning and catering. Healthy living is about the whole pictures of wellness... find your path to living well.