It can be a little intimidating to cook with a fresh pumpkin, so here are some simple ways to prepare it. Start by picking out a Pie Pumpkin the small (2-5lb) orange one in your local produce section. Pie Pumpkin's are sweeter than your traditional carving pumpkin.
After you've roasted your pumpkin you can use the pumpkin as a side dish, in your favorite baked goods, soups, etc.
How to Roast a Pumpkin
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Cut the top off of the pumpkin.
2. Slice pumpkin in half.
3. Scoop out with a metal spoon until smooth. Reserve the pumpkin seeds in a small bowl to cook separately.
4. Place pumpkin in a large baking dish and fill pan with 1/4 inch water.
5. Roast pumpkin in the oven for 45-60 minutes or until the pumpkin is soft.
6. Allow pumpkin to cool then scoop out the pumpkin and discard the skin. Keep pumpkin puree refrigerated in an air-tight container for up to one week.
Simple Mashed Pumpkin Side Dish:
Simply heat your pumpkin puree, mash with a fork, and serve. If you want to add a little more flavor season with salt and pepper and drizzle with oil, butter, or balsamic reduction, and top with toasted pumpkin seeds.
Keri is an internationally Registered Yoga Teacher, Culinary Nutritionist, and Wellness Coach. She owns and operates BAYA Wellness, LLC offering Yoga and Nutrition Services. Keri teachers both privately and publicly around the Greenville area offering on-going classes and special events. Her path as a nutritionist is all about making healthy living approachable... she teaches the components of healthy cooking, eating, and thinking while also offering specialized services like menu planning. Healthy living is about the whole pictures of wellness... find your path to living well.
Contact me for details: www.BAYAWellness.com