The perfect juicy, simple, yet delicious holiday turkey! Fresh thyme, smooth white wine, and fragrant vegetables make this turkey irresistible!
10 lb thawed whole turkey, neck and giblets removed
1 c. kosher salt
1/4 c. unsalted butter
1/4 c. extra virgin olive oil
1 c. onions, cut into chunks, divided
1 c. carrots, cut into 3 inch pieces, divided
1/2 c. celery, cut into 3 inch pieces, divided
8-10 sprigs fresh thyme, divided
1.5 c. chardonnay or other white wine (for a non-alcoholic version substitute apple juice and 1 lemon cut into halves)
1. Place turkey in a large oval roasting pan and run inside and out with kosher salt. Add enough cool water to the pan to cover the bottom half of the turkey. Place in refrigerator and soak overnight or for 12 hours, turning over once.
2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Remove turkey from roasting pan and rinse thoroughly to remove all of the salt. Discard the remaining water and salt mixture and rinse the roasting pan with water. Return turkey to the roasting pan breast side down.
3. Melt the butter and combine in a small bowl with the olive oil. Brush the turkey with the butter and olive oil mixture. Stuff the turkey 1/2 cup onion, 1/2 cup carrots, 1/4 cup celery, and 4-5 sprigs of thyme.
4. Scatter the remaining vegetables and thyme around the roasting pan. Pour the white wine into the roasting pan.
5. Roast the turkey uncovered for 2 hours, remove from oven, turn over and brush with remaining butter and olive oil. Continue roasting the turkey for another 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until internal temperature reaches 185 degrees Fahrenheit. Allow turkey to cool for 30 minutes before carving.
Yield = 21- 4 oz servings
Saturated Fat 4g
Dietary Fiber 1g
Nutrition Facts calculated by Keri Rogers using Diet Analysis Software 8.0.1.