Friday, April 19, 2013

Spicy Crock-pot Chicken and Vegetable Soup

Chili and soups are definitely a go to food for me in the morning. I love how warming they are and how it can pack everything my body needs into one bowl. Best part is chili and soup are always better the day after so it's the ultimate reheat and eat food. When I have breakfast daily I try to sit down for 6-10 minutes and relax. It helps me prepare for my day. I can literally jump out of bed and run a million miles an hour. My body is wired on alert as soon as I wake up and something as simple as having breakfast that I have to sit down and eat makes me slow down so I can organize my mind and day. How do you set yourself up for a good day?

This is my latest creation and it's full of healthy nutrients like protein, vitamins and minerals. It's also full of nourishing fats from the coconut which will give the brain what it needs to guide you through a day of clear thinking! This soup is also loaded with fresh vegetables and dietary fiber for a healthy digestion.

Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free, Low-Carb, Nut-Free, Paleo, Soy-Free

Ingredients:
2 tbsp bacon fat or coconut oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
4 small stalks celery, finely chopped
1-1/2 tbl. cumin
1-1/2 tbl. smoked paprika
1 tbl. ms. dash original seasoning mix
1 tsp. chili powder
1-1/2 lb. chicken thighs with bones
1 green bell pepper
5 kale leaves, stemmed and finely chopped
2 yellow squash, cut into half moons
1 can rotel with green chilies
3/4 c. coconut cream (could use 1 can of coconut milk)
1 qt. homemade chicken stock
sea salt
2 tbsp. fresh cilantro, chopped (optional)
1 avocado, cubed (optional)

Directions:
1. Heat bacon fat or oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic, onions, and celery. Saute 4-6 minutes until onions start to turn translucent. Add in spices. Stir and cook until fragrant (1 minute). Place vegetable mixture into a crock-pot.
2. Add all remaining ingredients to crock-pot except cilantro and avocado. Cook on high for 2 to 3 hours or until thoroughly cooked.
3. Remove chicken thighs and let cool 5 minutes. Using two forks pull the chicken from the bones and shred apart. Then toss chicken back into chili and stir to combine. 
4. Top with fresh cilantro and avocado and serve. :-)
*Recipe and photo by Keri Rogers.

Keri is an internationally Registered Yoga Teacher, creator of yoga props, and health lifestyle educator.  She owns and operates BAYA Wellness, LLC offering yoga classes, handmade props, and healthy lifestyle services. Keri teachers both privately and publicly around the Greenville area offering on-going classes and special events. 
BAYA... Be As You Are!

No comments:

Post a Comment