Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Coconut Curry Soup

-->
My husband made the most delicious curry soup the other day. The next day I ate it for breakfast AND lunch - I finished it off the entire second quart of soup before he even came home from work for the day. It's that good! Due to several requests for the recipe he decided to write this up for you all. This recipe is by Executive Sous Chef Tanner Marino and it's a go to meal full of warming spices to soothe and nourish the digestive system. He mixes it up with different vegetables each time depending upon what we have in the fridge! Experiment :-)
Pictured here with Patty Pan Squash & Brussels


Candida Diet, Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free, Low-Carb, Nut-Free, Paleo, Soy-Free
Ingredients –

1 Leek

1 White Onion

I small Ginger Root

1 stalk lemongrass

2 cloves of Garlic

1 head of Broccoli

2 cans of Coconut Milk

1.5# (lbs) of Chicken Thighs or Breasts

1 Tablespoon each of Cumin, Smoked Paprika, Coriander, Cardamom, Ginger, and Tumeric

4 Tablespoons Madras Curry Powder

Salt to taste

M.O.P. (Method of Preparation)

-Slice onion and leek in to small pieces and keep together, mince garlic and ginger and keep near onions and leeks, smash the lemongrass but leave in large pieces so you can extract them out at the end. Cut the Broccoli into florets and set aside

- There are 3 different ways I have cooked the chicken and my favorite was tossing them in oil and all of the same spices up top (about the same amounts of each just not as much curry) and grilling them. If you can't grill them, you could always coat them in oil and spices and oven roast them too.

- So to start the soup I turn a pot (I really enjoy my Le Cruset on this one) on to medium and add oil and a little butter. I sauté the garlic, ginger, onions, leek and lemongrass for about 8 minutes until they are translucent. Then I add the spices and really agitate the bottom of the pan to get the caramelizing started. I add the 2 cans of coconut milk and give it a good stir to make sure all of the spices get thoroughly mixed in. I add the raw broccoli at this time and after the chicken is cooked and allowed to rest I cut it into small pieces and add it to the soup.

- At this time I check for seasoning and consistency. Is it thick enough and does it have a good strong curry flavor. If not I adjust adding more spices and or thickening with a corn starch slurry (paste made of corn starch and water, add when boiling to properly thicken.) Then I let it simmer for about 5 or so minutes or just enough for the broccoli to cook. I pull out the lemon grass and sometimes hit with a little splash of lime juice before serving to brighten it up a bit and cut through the creaminess of the coconut milk. I usually serve mine with Jasmine Rice.
 Yields 2 qts of finished soup

No comments:

Post a Comment