2 tbl. grape seed oil
2 boneless skinless raw chicken breasts, cubed1 tbl. cajun seasoning
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1/2 red onion, diced
1 can coconut milk
2 tbl. arrowroot powder**
1 tbl. water or more as needed
4 slices gluten-free bread, toasted
1. Sprinkle cajun seasoning over the chicken. Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook until browned. Approximately 3-5 minutes. Remove chicken and set aside.
2. Add onions and bell peppers to skillet. Saute until onions are translucent and still have a slight crunch.
3. In a medium bowl, add arrowroot powder and water whisk together to make a paste. Also known as a slurry, this will be used to thicken the coconut milk.
4. Add chicken to the veggies then pour coconut milk over the top. Bring to a boil.
5. Once it comes to a boil, whisk in the slurry reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered for 5 minutes. The sauce should reach the consistency of gravy. If two watery, make another slurry with arrowroot powder and add to reach desired thickness.
6. Add cajun seasoning, sea salt and fresh black pepper to taste. Served over gluten-free bread.
*Recipe and photos by Tanner Marino.
**Arrowroot powder is a non-genetically modified food thickener. It's a healthier alternative to corn starch. It is available at most health food stores where the baking supplies are.
Tanner Marino is a Chef and local foods enthusiast in Greenville, SC. He has a passion for using simple quality ingredients and transforming them into artfully prepared delicious creations. Tanner is currently available for hire as a private chef.